AW: [Desktop_printing] Role of CUPS and error handling

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Sun Apr 2 16:48:26 PDT 2006

On 2 April 2006 18:43, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> KDEPrint as we know it now is already 5 years old. And yet it is
> more powerful for common use than what Windows provides. (Granted,
> it has become a bit out of sync with CUPS developments, and there
> are about half a dozen CUPS print options which are not supported
> by kprinter because development was nearly dormant for the last 2
> years; also, the KDE GUI does not any longer support setting of
> all options for cupsd.conf -- so for now I've stopped promoting
> it to my customers as a tool that lets them remotely configure
> their CUPS servers... Now with CUPS-1.2 being rolled out that
> missing piece will really start to hurt KDE...).

I hear you and I am as pained.

When I attempted to take over from Michael 10 months ago, I still had 2h/day
that I thought would be able to dedicate to kdeprint.

My priorities are (in order)
- CUPS-1.2 and new features,
- Qt-4,
- bugs gallery
- usability
- peanuts (pdf tools, etc.)

Passed through new cups api twice. Still need time to get accustomed.

Last 6 months (October to February++) saw me completely overwhelmed. KDE was
far down on priorities list. Things start to come back. Yet, any help is more
than welcome.

Thanks for listening.

--
Cristian Tibirna