AW: [Desktop_printing] Role of CUPS and error handling

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun Apr 2 13:54:54 PDT 2006

   Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 16:31:42 -0400
   From: Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com>

   Robert L Krawitz wrote:
   >    Both situations do require some specialized UI, but that UI would,
   >    IMHO, be inappropriate for a word processor or web browser.
   >
   > Perhaps, although there could be an "extended settings" panel or
   > the like.  If someone's viewing some kind of tagged image in a
   > browser, it might be useful.
   >
   > I disagree that it's not useful in a word processor -- maybe not
   > as useful, but I wouldn't say it's not useful at all.  Consider
   > the case of someone writing a document about color management.

   I don't think that someone will be asking for a particular black to
   use for the text... :)

Uh...isn't that what RGB+K is all about?

   Obviously, there *are* use cases for color management in ordinary
   documents, but the question is whether the advanced controls need
   to be in every application.

The question to me is why different applications (or at least
different apps based on the same toolkit) should have different print
panels.  Wouldn't it be easier and less error-prone to have the same
panel for each app?

   >    FWIW, I'm not against providing these kinds of options or
   >    working to support high-end use scenarios.  My questions and
   >    concerns are driven by wanting to determine the actual
   >    requirements and use cases, so that we can actually implement
   >    something that works for everyone.
   >
   > Well, there's always some tension between "do it right" and "do
   > it right now", and I'd like to resolve that in a reasonable way
   > also.  However, sometimes it's hard to know what's needed until
   > there's a useful prototype out there.  I don't want us to be in a
   > situation where we don't get any requirements and use cases
   > because nobody's even trying to push the envelope.

   Definitely do prototyping!  Once we have enough data, we can define
   the standard way to support it...

It gets a bit lonely out here sometimes...

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton