AW: [Desktop_printing] Role of CUPS and error handling

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Apr 2 13:31:42 PDT 2006

Robert L Krawitz wrote:
>    Both situations do require some specialized UI, but that UI would,
>    IMHO, be inappropriate for a word processor or web browser.
>
> Perhaps, although there could be an "extended settings" panel or the
> like.  If someone's viewing some kind of tagged image in a browser, it
> might be useful.
>
> I disagree that it's not useful in a word processor -- maybe not as
> useful, but I wouldn't say it's not useful at all.  Consider the case
> of someone writing a document about color management.

I don't think that someone will be asking for a particular black
to use for the text... :)

Obviously, there *are* use cases for color management in ordinary
documents, but the question is whether the advanced controls need
to be in every application.

>    FWIW, I'm not against providing these kinds of options or working
>    to support high-end use scenarios.  My questions and concerns are
>    driven by wanting to determine the actual requirements and use
>    cases, so that we can actually implement something that works for
>    everyone.
>
> Well, there's always some tension between "do it right" and "do it
> right now", and I'd like to resolve that in a reasonable way also.
> However, sometimes it's hard to know what's needed until there's a
> useful prototype out there.  I don't want us to be in a situation
> where we don't get any requirements and use cases because nobody's
> even trying to push the envelope.

Definitely do prototyping!  Once we have enough data, we can define
the standard way to support it...