AW: [Desktop_printing] Role of CUPS and error handling

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sat Apr 1 06:35:46 PST 2006

   Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 22:05:53 -0800
   From: "Bastian, Waldo" <waldo.bastian at intel.com>

   OSDL DTL is interested in growing Linux Desktop adoption, and that
   growth is going to come primarily from Linux/x86 compatible systems
   in the foreseeable future. Currently that growth is hampered by
   people having to go through hoops like ./configure;make;make
   install (typically combined with a lot google usage) in order to
   get hardware working that they have paid money for. Yes, open
   source drivers are preferable for a large number of reasons, but
   the first concern is making end-users happy with a working
   setup. If that takes a binary-only driver for the time being, then
   so be it.

End users don't have to compile it themselves.  An install script, for
example, could take care of that.

The issue about having compilers/dev packages installed is relevant,
though.

I do think that in the long term (not so long term, actually) closed
source drivers will cause more problems than they'll solve.  It won't
be as bad as it is in the kernel (where wayward drivers can cause
instability for the entire system), but there will be inevitable
conflicts -- things such as compiler/library versions (particularly if
drivers are written in C++), hidden assumptions about other things
installed on the system, and so forth.  If the distribution vendor (or
end user, for the more sophisticated users) has the opportunity to
compile the packages itself, a lot of these problems go away.

I do think the issue of platform neutrality is important and shouldn't
be swept aside that easily.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton