AW: [Desktop_printing] Role of CUPS and error handling

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Mar 31 05:23:39 PST 2006

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mar 31 05:35 Michael Sweet wrote (shortened):
>> ... there are advantages to both users and developers when the OS
>> provides common, consistent APIs to build applications with.
>
> I don't have much knowledge about the various APIs under Linux.
>
> I assume that the KDE and Gnome printer setup tools and YaST
> and seveal other distributor tools and of course the CUPS setup
> tool (lpadmin and web-frontend) all use the CUPS API
> but nevertheless all those tools behave somewhat different
> for the user.

All of those are build on top of various wrapper interfaces, and
generally do not make full use of the CUPS APIs.

However, that is not what I was talking about specifically...

> Therefore you may mean a different kind of API or do I
> misunderstand something?

Even if a vendor has control over an API, that does not prevent
a developer from writing software to do what they want outside of
that API.

For example, even though Microsoft has a standard GUI toolkit (MFC),
there are many third-party toolkits that work equally well using the
low-level GDI APIs in Windows instead.

You always have a choice, even on proprietary operating systems.