AW: [Desktop_printing] Role of CUPS and error handling

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Mar 31 02:44:10 PST 2006

Hello,

On Mar 31 05:35 Michael Sweet wrote (shortened):
> ... there are advantages to both users and developers when the OS
> provides common, consistent APIs to build applications with.

I don't have much knowledge about the various APIs under Linux.

I assume that the KDE and Gnome printer setup tools and YaST
and seveal other distributor tools and of course the CUPS setup
tool (lpadmin and web-frontend) all use the CUPS API
but nevertheless all those tools behave somewhat different
for the user.

Therefore you may mean a different kind of API or do I
misunderstand something?

Kind Regards,
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de