AW: [Desktop_printing] Role of CUPS and error handling

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Mar 29 01:09:54 PST 2006

Hello,

On Mar 27 10:09 Michael Sweet wrote (shortened):
> The main issue is that, out of the box, SuSE's web interface can't
> work because there is no lppasswd set.

Out of the box the cupsd must meet our general security policy.
We have a perfect dilemma:
You demand your defaults and we demand our general security policy
but both contradict each other.

> > On the other hand we really did something which is different
> > than the original CUPS 1.1.x: Our "preauth_security" patch,
> > see "Generalized Functionality for BrowseAllow and BrowseDeny" in
> > http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printer_Configuration_from_SUSE_LINUX_9.0_on
> > I expected several complaints and problems here (in particular
> > because one cannot switch off the "preauth_security" patch)
> > but here everything is quiet.
>
> Probably because those changes are less likely to cause problems
> for a typical environment.  However, requiring someone to use
> "BrowseAllow foo" to allow connections from "foo" is not intuitive,
> so I'll bet there are some enterprise-class users that are not
> able to use the SuSE CUPS packages because of this...

I wrote "here everything is quiet" and I meant it ("here" means
that I didn't get a complaint or problem report from any of our
customers).
Perhaps you (or others) got complaints or problem reports from
our customers and then it is another example of what I wrote:
I would really like to know what goes on out there why some
of our users don't even try to use YaST or lpadmin or read our
documentation or use our support stuff but instead they seem
to waste their energy and bother others with their problems.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de