AW: [Desktop_printing] Role of CUPS and error handling

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 27 17:23:19 PST 2006

   Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:09:35 -0500
   From: Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com>

   > By the way:
   >
   > What looks a bit strange from my point of view with the
   > discussion about RunAsUser is: When it is enabled, it is in
   > compliance how CUPS 1.1.x can work.  But the discussion seems to
   > be as if we did something which is totally against how CUPS is
   > designed to work.  Perhaps this is even true because RunAsUser is
   > no longer supported in CUPS 1.2?

   The main issue is that, out of the box, SuSE's web interface can't
   work because there is no lppasswd set.  That is the #1 question on
   our CUPS forums (thus the prominent place on the CUPS home page...)

That's actually something that I (a loyal SUSE user :-) ) wouldn't
mind seeing fixed.  I figured it out eventually, but most people
won't.

One other point about this: the CUPS web interface is the greatest
common demoninator of all CUPS interfaces.  Whenever we get complaints
about someone having trouble setting up Gutenprint from PPD files, I
ask them to try localhost:631, and more often than not, that works.
The most recent issue (as an example) was someone using Mandrake who
found 17 copies of the Gutenprint PPD files listed, with nothing
distinguishing them.  The CUPS web interface properly displays the
language.  There needs to be a common interface to this that works
everywhere (that includes OS X, as far as I'm concerned).

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton