[Desktop_printing] Detailed Agenda for the Printing Summit -- Third Proposal

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Mon Mar 27 06:06:26 PST 2006

Oi,

I was on two conferences last week and I did not have much time for e-mail.

Here is the newest state of the agenda.

Main changes:

- Apple presentation was mistakenly only given 15 minutes.  Schedule is
  adjusted.

- Since Ide will be physically attending the summit, we are assuming
  that Ide could present the overview for the Vector Driver API as well
  (perhpas using Mihara's slides).

- On Tuesday evening the Status Monitoring will not be held by Ide, but
  by one of the OP Japan guys in Kyoto.

- John Oleinik will give the HP session on Tuesday morning.

- For the IJS presentation on Tuesday Dave Suffield will do it together
  with the GhostScript people. He will prepare materials for that.

- Working lunch on Monday is OK (we will get boxed food in the
  conference room), on the other days there will be a buffet in the
  cafeteria.

John Cherry also suggested to not do the series of 10-minute sessions on
Tuesday morning.

---John Cherry wrote:---------------------------------------------------
This section looks crazy to me with a series of 10 minute segments.  In
speaking to Till, it makes sense to combine this into a single slide set
and then have speakers parade up to talk about their points.

Should we better do a "Driver panel" where I give an introduction with
linuxprinting.org and Foomatic and then everyone involved in drivers
talks shortly about his project? We could show this part in the agenda
like the distro part on Monday morning. We could go a similar way also
with other series of 10-minute talks throughout the event. WDYT?

I hope I have changed everything which was proposed in the last week.
Here is the new version of the agenda, comments welcome.

MONDAY, April 10
----------------

 8:00 AM -  Arrival of Marriott/Lanier Shuttle
         8:00 - Coffee / Setup / Seating / Intros
         8:30 - Opening (Waldo Bastian and Till Kamppeter)
         8:40 - What is OSDL (Waldo Bastian)
         8:50 - Go over the agenda, logistics, etc. - Waldo (OSDL)

 9:00 AM -  Vision for open source printing

        Printing Organizations
         9:00 - linuxprinting.org overview (Till Kamppeter)
         9:20 - FSG Open Printing Overview (Norm Jacobs)
         9:40 - PWG Overview (Harry Lewis)
        10:00 - Apple MacOS Printing Overview (Paul Danbold)
	10:30 - Break

	Linux Distributors
        10:45 - Distro Panel
			Mandriva printing (Till Kamppeter)
        		Debian printing (Henrique de Moraes)
        		Redhat printing (Tim Waugh)

        11:30 - Open Discussion - vision for Linux printing

12:00 PM -  It should just work - Consistent Methods, desktop service

	12:00 PM - Working Lunch
        	12:20 - KDE
        	12:40 - GNOME

         1:00 - FSG OP PAPI (Norm Jacobs)
         1:15 - FSG OP JTAPI (Claudia Alimpich)
	 1:30 - FSG OP Vector Driver API (Ide Kentaro)
         1:45 - FSG OP Print Channel Manager API (Ide Kentaro)
         2:00 - Portland/freedesktop (Overview and Printing)
         2:15 - OpenUsability.org
	 2:30 - Break

 3:00 PM -  Usability - printing dialog paper prototype session
         3:00 - Intro to Paper Prototyping (Ellen Reitmayr)
         3:15 - KDE Usability
         3:30 - GNOME Usability
         3:45 - Printing Dialogs in Applications
                Scribus (P. Linnell)
		Open Office (Kay Ramme)
		Equitrac (Tom Haapanen)
         4:15 - Summary of Paper Prototyping Objective (Ellen Reitmayr)

 4:30 - Brainstorming/Priorities: Everyone writes down most important
        problems on small papers. We post thenm on the board and then
        everyone can vote by sticking points onto the postings (as on
        DA Meeting in December 2005).  Results will determine the focus
        of the breakout sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday.

 5:00 PM - Daily summary - dial-ins

 6:00 PM - Dinner

TUESDAY, April 11
-----------------

 8:00 AM -  Arrival of Marriott/Lanier Shuttle
         8:00 - Coffee / Setup / Seating / Intro
         8:50 - Go over the agenda, logistics, etc. - Waldo (OSDL)

 9:00 AM -  Hardware Support
         9:00 - Intro: Current Driver Chaos and Organizing them on
                linuxprinting.org (Till Kamppeter)
         9:15 - GhostScript (GhostScript people)
         9:25 - HP Linux Printing and Imaging (John Oleinik)
         9:35 - Ricoh Family and OEM (George Liu or Ulrich Wehner)
         9:45 - Gutenprint (Robert Krawitz)
         9:55 - If the Manufacturer does not Cooperate ... (Hin-Tak
                Leung)
        10:05 - Multi-Language PPDs (Michael Sweet)
        10:15 - Plug'n'Print/Auto-Install (Distro people? Till
                Kamppeter (Printerdrake)? Cristian Tibirna (KDE)?)
        10:30 - Open discussion
        10:45 - Break

11:00 PM -  Modularizing built-in GhostScript drivers
        11:00 - GhostScript's built-in printer and file format drivers
                (GhostScript people)
        11:10 - IJS (David Suffield and/or GhostScript people)
        11:20 - CUPS raster (Mike Sweet)
        11:30 - OpenPrinting vector (OP people)
        11:40 - Open discussion

12:00 PM - Lunch

 1:00 PM -  OpenPrinting.org implementation
         1:00 - FSG OP PAPI Implementation (Norm Jacobs)
         1:15 - FSG OP JTAPI Implementation (Claudia Alimpich)
	 (more on OpenPrinting.org implementation in evening call)

 1:30 AM -  CUPS 1.2 integration
         1:30 - CUPS 1.2: Overview, What's New, ... (Mike Sweet)
         2:00 - Special options (Robert Krawitz), GhostScript,
                OpenPrinting conformance (OP people), ...
         2:30 - Integration with CUPS (Mike Sweet), KDE, GNOME, apps
	 3:00 - Break

 3:30 PM - Breakout sessions for focus areas (2-3 concurrent sessions)

 4:30 PM - Report out from breakout sessions
           Session 1
           Session 2
           Paper prototyping session

 5:00 PM - Daily summary - dial-ins

 6:00 PM - Dinner

 8:00 PM - Conference call (FSG OP) with Kyoto
         8:00 - FSG OP Status Monitoring Implementation (FSG OP
                Asia/Japan regional team member)
         8:20 - FSG OP Vector Driver Implementation (FSG OP Asia/Japan
                regional team member)
         8:40 - FSG OP Print Channel Manager Implementation (Ide
                Kentaro)
         9:00 - Open discussion

WEDNESDAY, April 12
-------------------

 8:00 AM -  Arrival of Marriott/Lanier Shuttle
         8:00 - Coffee / Setup / Seating
         8:50 - Go over the agenda, logistics, etc. - Waldo (OSDL)

 9:00 AM -  Transition of job transfer format (PostScript to PDF)
         9:00 - Intro: Why is PDF better? (Till Kamppeter and/or Mike
                Sweet)
         9:15 - PDF use in Mac OS X (Mike Sweet or Paul Danbold)
         9:30 - Free software PDF interpreters: XPDF, Poppler,
                GhostScript, and generators: GhostScript,Scribus,
                OpenOffice.org, ...
        10:15 - Open discussion
        10:45 - Break

11:00 PM - Breakout sessions for focus areas (2-3 concurrent sessions)

12:00 PM -  Lunch

 1:00 AM - Report out from breakout sessions
           Session 1
           Session 2

 1:30 AM -  Printer Testing, Issues, and Certification
         1:30 - Intro
         1:45 - Printer Testing/Certification Project Beijing
         2:15 - Testing Method, Distro-Independent
         2:30 - linuxprinting.org as Central Database for
                Testing/Certification Results?
         2:45 - Break

 3:00 AM - Paper Prototyping Results

 3:30 PM -  Summary/wrapup - dial-ins