[Desktop_printing] Role of CUPS and error handling

Ellen Reitmayr ellen.reitmayr at relevantive.de
Sat Mar 25 11:55:51 PST 2006

Hi,

while doing some printer installations for testing purpose I found that
me/we (the usability people) will need a lot more background information
on CUPS . The workflows in three distributions I've tested so far (SuSE,
Kubuntu, Ubuntu) confused me more than showing me the real benefits of
CUPS. I won't go into detail right now - we can do that in Atlanta - but
they were either asking for too many difficult decisions, permissions
were not set, or important options were not provided. The web interface
seemed to be more streamlined, but I've only seen it on an NX server
without a real network and printers around it.

Kurt, who gave me irc support during the different printer installations
proposed to have a personal, 1-day meeting before Atlanta to tell
exactly what the problems were, and to give further background
information on CUPS.

Thanks for your answers on that issue, they also were a lot of help!

Cheers,
Ellen