[Desktop_printing] Reminder: Printing Summit Conference Call

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Mar 15 18:55:47 PST 2006

[I've been a bit busy lately...  Comments in-line...]

John Cherry wrote:
> Date/time: Thursday, March 16 at 9AM (pacific)
> Toll free: 1-800-211-0633
> Toll: 1-719-867-0485
> Participant code: 942698
>
> Agenda:
>
> - Collect preparation information
> - Determine detailed agenda based on attendance, preparation
>   info, and requested slots
> - Determine moderator(s) and meeting flow
>
> Till, thanks for putting together the detailed agenda.  It looks very
> full and we may have to make some priority calls.  I have incorporated
> the comments from the list and here is the latest detailed agenda for
> discussion on the call tomorrow.

I'll try to call in tomorrow, but IMHO this schedule is *too* full.  We
easily have 5 days worth of material here crammed into 2 days, with a
semi-leisurely third day.

> MONDAY, April 10
> ----------------
>
>  8:00 AM -  Arrival of Marriott/Lanier Shuttle
>          8:00 - Coffee / Setup / Seating / Intros
>          8:30 - Opening (Waldo Bastian and Till Kamppeter)
>          8:40 - What is OSDL (Waldo Bastian)
>          8:50 - Go over the agenda, logistics, etc. - Waldo (OSDL)
>
>  9:00 AM -  Vision for open source printing
>          9:00 - linuxprinting.org overview (Till Kamppeter)
>          9:20 - FSG Open Printing Overview (Norm Jacobs)
>          9:40 - PWG Overview (Harry Lewis)
>         10:00 - Apple MacOS Printing Overview (Paul Danbold)
>         10:20 - Roundtable - printing organizations / roles (Moderator)
>         10:40 - Mandriva printing (Till Kamppeter)
>         10:55 - Debian printing (Henrique de Moraes)
>         11:10 - Redhat printing (Tim Waugh)
>         11:25 - Roundtable - vision for Linux printing

I'm thinking that you only need 1 roundtable (Q&A?) session, and can
make the first one a scheduled break.  Three hours is a long time to
go without a break...

Also, I'd recommend keeping the distro-specific printing discussions
short and to the point - what software and drivers are included,
configuration changes specific to distro, and goals/emphasis placed
on printing for that distribution.

> 12:00 PM -  (Working?) Lunch
>
>  1:00 PM -  It should just work - Consistent Methods, desktop service
>          1:00 - FSG OP PAPI (Norm Jacobs)
>          1:15 - FSG OP JTAPI (Claudia Alimpich)
> 	 1:30 - FSG OP Vector Driver API (Ide Kentaro)
>          1:45 - FSG OP Print Channel Manager API (Ide Kentaro)
>          2:00 - Portland/freedesktop (Overview and Printing)
>          2:15 - OpenUsability.org
>          2:30 - KDE
>          2:45 - GNOME

Again, a break is needed.  I'd suggest a 10 minute break at 2:30,
followed by the KDE and GNOME sessions.

>  3:30 PM -  Usability - printing dialog paper prototype session
>          3:30 - Intro (Ellen Reitmayr)
>          3:40 - KDE Usability
>          3:50 - GNOME Usability
>          4:00 - Printing Dialogs in Applications
>          4:10 - Start of Paper Prototyping

I'm guessing that the KDE and GNOME presentations will cover their
respective printing dialogs?!?

>  4:30 PM -  Working session
>          4:30 - Brainstorming/Voting: Everyone writes down most
>                 important problems on small papers. We post thenm on the
>                 and then everyone can vote by sticking points onto the
>                 postings (as on DA Meeting in December 2005)
>
>  5:00 PM -  Daily summary - dial-ins
>
>  6:00 PM -  Dinner
>
>  Alternative Suggestion for Monday:
>
>  - Move freedesktop.org, OpenUsability.org, KDE, GNOME into working
>    lunch
>  - Move Brainstorming/Voting to 2:00pm
>

> TUESDAY, April 11
> -----------------
>
>  8:00 AM -  Arrival of Marriott/Lanier Shuttle
>          8:00 - Coffee / Setup / Seating / Intro
>          8:50 - Go over the agenda, logistics, etc. - Waldo (OSDL)
>
>  9:00 AM -  Hardware Support
>          9:00 - Intro: Current Driver Chaos and Organizing them on
>                 linuxprinting.org (Till Kamppeter)

Till, I know that linuxprinting.org is basically your baby, but
perhaps you should focus on Foomatic here, not linuxprinting.org
(you can cover that in your Monday morning presentation, right?)

>          9:15 - GhostScript (GhostScript people)
>          9:25 - HP Linux Printing and Imaging (David Suffield or Shiyun
>                 Yie)
>          9:35 - Ricoh Family and OEM (George Liu or Ulrich Wehner)
>          9:45 - Gutenprint (Robert Krawitz)
>          9:55 - If the Manufacturer does not Cooperate ... (Hin-Tak
>                 Leung)
>         10:05 - Multi-Language PPDs (Michael Sweet)

I'd prefer to do a short presentation of the CUPS DDK here, and
then cover multi-language PPDs in the CUPS 1.2 session.

>         10:15 - Plug'n'Print/Auto-Install (Distro people? Till
>                 Kamppeter (Printerdrake)? Cristian Tibirna (KDE)?)

Perhaps a demo?

>         10:30 - Round table

Break, then round table.

> 11:00 AM -  CUPS 1.2 integration
>         11:00 - CUPS 1.2: Overview, What's New, ... (Mike Sweet)
>         11:25 - Special options (Robert Krawitz), GhostScript,
>                 OpenPrinting conformance (OP people), ...
>         11:?? - Round table

Given the scope of the changes in CUPS 1.2 and my feeling that most
of the attendees will not have had seen it, I'd like a little more
time for my presentation.  I can use the time to demo the major new
features as I do the presentation...

What is the purpose of the "Special options" topic?

The second round table is probably not needed here.

> 12:00 PM -  Lunch
>
>  1:00 PM -  OpenPrinting.org implementation
>          1:00 - FSG OP PAPI Implementation (Norm Jacobs)
>          1:15 - FSG OP JTAPI Implementation (Claudia Alimpich)
>          1:30 - FSG OP Status Monitoring Implementation (Ide Kentaro)
>          1:45 - FSG OP Vector Driver Implementation (Ide Kentaro)
>          2:00 - FSG OP Print Channel Manager Implementation (Ide
> Kentaro)
>          2:15 - Integration with CUPS (Mike Sweet), KDE, GNOME, apps

This should probably either be part of my CUPS 1.2 presentation
or be on day 1 with the other Linux distro presentations.  My
preference is to keep all of the CUPS stuff together.

Also, break needed...

>  3:00 PM -  Printer Testing, Issues, and Certification
>          3:00 - Intro
>          3:15 - Printer Testing/Certification Project Beijing
>          3:30 - Testing Method, Distro-Independent
>          3:45 - linuxprinting.org as Central Database for
>                 Testing/Certification Results?

I'd like to include a slide or two on the cups.org page...

The cups.org site has its own printer driver page specifically for
PPDs that work with CUPS.  It is setup to be self-maintaining,
i.e. vendors can upload/update their own PPDs via the web page,
and validates PPDs before they are accepted into the database.

>  4:00 PM -  Working session
>
>  5:00 PM -  Daily summary - dial-ins
>
>  6:00 PM -  Dinner
>

> WEDNESDAY, April 12
> -------------------
>
>  8:00 AM -  Arrival of Marriott/Lanier Shuttle
>          8:00 - Coffee / Setup / Seating
>          8:50 - Go over the agenda, logistics, etc. - Waldo (OSDL)
>
>  9:00 AM -  Transition of job transfer format (PostScript to PDF)
>          9:00 - Intro: Why is PDF better? (Till Kamppeter and/or Mike
>                 Sweet)
>          9:15 - PDF use in Mac OS X (Mike Sweet or Paul Danbold)
>          9:30 - Free software PDF interpreters: XPDF, Poppler,
>                 GhostScript, and generators: GhostScript,Scribus,
>                 OpenOffice.org, ...
>         10:15 - Round table

Break...

> 11:00 AM -  Working session
>
> 12:00 PM -  Lunch
>
>  1:00 PM -  Modularizing built-in GhostScript drivers
>          1:00 - GhostScript's built-in printer and file format drivers
>                 (GhostScript people)
>          1:10 - IJS (David Suffield or GhostScript people)
>          1:20 - CUPS raster (Mike Sweet)
>          1:30 - OpenPrinting vector (OP people)
>          1:40 - Round table
>
>  2:00 PM -  Working session