[Desktop_printing] Portland (Was: Proposal for a more detailed agenda)

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Wed Mar 15 16:15:26 PST 2006

>On Wednesday 15 March 2006 22:57, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
>> ><ira>
>> >FSG OP requests that we have four overview presentations:
>> >- FSG OP PAPI (Norm Jacobs)
>> >- FSG OP JTAPI (Claudia Alimpich)
>> >- FSG OP Vector Driver API (Ide Kentaro)
>> >- FSG OP Print Channel Manager API (Ide Kentaro)
>> ><ira>

>> The Portland slot can be folded into the freedesktop.org slot because
>> printing has not played a very significant role in the Portland
project
>> so far.
>
>But shouldn't we discuss and then nail down some ideas about how
>printing and Portland will interface? Which print related tasks are
>essential and MUST be covered by Portland? Which ones are optional?
>What minimum support can a third party/ISV application expect to be
>offered from a printing service running on a "Portland-enabled"
>desktop?
>
>And what *is* currently available (even if it is only "proof of
>concept") from Portland coders? Could it serve as an inspiration
>for people coding in printing? Do all the people working on printing
>at all know about Portland, its basic ideas, its concept, its scope,
>its limitations?

Yes, those are good points. I encourage everyone to read up on
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Portland and
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/PortlandIntegrationTasks and to think if
and how printing services can relate to that. If there are ideas around
this we can have a working session at the summit to work out more of the
requirement details.

Cheers,
Waldo