[Desktop_printing] Proposal for a more detailed agenda

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Mar 15 16:32:57 PST 2006

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 22:57, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> >Till Kamppeter wrote:
> >>
> >> in the organization team we have already started to work out how to
> >> place individual presentations in the agenda of the Printing Summit.
> >> Here is a proposal:
> >>
> >> MONDAY, April 10
> >> ----------------
> >>
> >>  1:00 PM -  It should just work - Consistent Methods, desktop service
> >>          1:00 - FSG OP JTAPI (Claudia Alimpich or Ira McDonald)
> >>          1:20 - FSG OP PAPI
> >

> ><ira>
> >FSG OP requests that we have four overview presentations:
> >- FSG OP PAPI (Norm Jacobs)
> >- FSG OP JTAPI (Claudia Alimpich)
> >- FSG OP Vector Driver API (Ide Kentaro)
> >- FSG OP Print Channel Manager API (Ide Kentaro)
> ><ira>
> >

> >>          1:40 - Portland (Overview and Printing)
> >>          2:00 - freedesktop.org
> >>          2:10 - OpenUsability.org
> >>          2:20 - KDE
> >>          2:30 - GNOME
>
> The Portland slot can be folded into the freedesktop.org slot because
> printing has not played a very significant role in the Portland project
> so far.

But shouldn't we discuss and then nail down some ideas about how
printing and Portland will interface? Which print related tasks are
essential and MUST be covered by Portland? Which ones are optional?
What minimum support can a third party/ISV application expect to be
offered from a printing service running on a "Portland-enabled"
desktop?

And what *is* currently available (even if it is only "proof of
concept") from Portland coders? Could it serve as an inspiration
for people coding in printing? Do all the people working on printing
at all know about Portland, its basic ideas, its concept, its scope,
its limitations?

> That will create a bit more room for the FSG presentations.
>
> Cheers,
> Waldo

Cheers,
Kurt