[Desktop_printing] Usability: Printing roles, tasks and environments

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Mar 8 17:42:55 PST 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 14:42, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> >
> > Michael Sweet wrote:
> >
> >> CUPS 1.2's web interface is, IMHO, a step in the right direction
> >> (but hey, I'm biased ;) in that administration and printer
> >> installation/configuration happen in one place for the user.
> >
> > Does there happen to be a demo online? and if so: could you give us a
> > demo account where we can play a bit? :)
>
> I'll point you at the forthcoming CUPS 1.2 beta on cups.org for
> now.

I'll try to compile and setup an working CUPS from current SVN on
an NX server for Ellen and the other OpenUsability.org who are
interested to work with it (and also keep it current on a daily
basis from now on. (Man, Mike -- you must have been working like
mad in the last few weeks, guessing from the number of commits and
feature additions that can be seen in "svn log") :-)

> I'm also doing screenshots for the new CUPS book and will
> be including them with my presentation for the summit, so you'll
> get a static view of the new interface in the near future as well.

I'll try to bring a current Knoppix, remastered with a working
CUPS-1.2svn with me to the summit, so we can give out copies to
people who do not easily compile stuff on their own. No sure
promise, though.

I'm also pondering to temporarily (and alternatively) create a
klik package for the current 1.2svn (that could run in user space
without root privileges, by using a port like 10631 or something).

Also, right now I'm working on a little article that shows how to
easily use and tweak your much underrated "make test" build target
in CUPS' SVN sources. I think this nifty little option is hardly
known, even amongst Linux printing gurus. And now is the time to
make them jump into the 1.2 waters (with a lifebelt around their
bellies) so they can find the dangerous shoals and undercurrents
*before* you do the first official 1.2.0 release...  ;-)

Cheers,
Kurt