[Desktop_printing] Usability: Printing roles, tasks and environments

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Mar 7 14:25:37 PST 2006

Bastian, Waldo wrote:
>> It might be more productive to focus more on classes of users that
>> perform all of the classic printing roles, for example:
>>
>>     1. The One Computer User - S/he has one computer and one
>>        printer.  If s/he uses any networking, it is to do email
>>        and surf the web.
>>
>>     2. The Home Network User - S/he has two or more computers
>>        and one or more printers on a (wireless) network.  S/he
>>        manages one of the computers as a server for the rest,
>>        sharing printers, etc. as needed.
>
> I think that the "manages one of the computers as a server" part can be
> considered an overstatement in many cases. I think it's often more a
> case of "one of the computers happens to have a printer attached which
> should be usable from the other computers as well". The difference being
> that the user has not made a conscious decision to make one of the
> computers a "server".

True, but for the most part everyone on this list is a "geek" and
understands that printer sharing == server at some level.

Obviously we want to expose this to mere mortals as "share my
printers", and that is how CUPS 1.2 does it.  However, for the
purposes of discussion of use cases *here*, the computer that is
sharing the printers is a server with all the (security/usage/etc)
implications that go along with being a server...