[Desktop_printing] Usability: Printing roles, tasks and environments

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Mar 7 08:53:10 PST 2006

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 13:00, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:

> - What tasks do we want to address in the meeting? Is installation an
> issue,

It is *the* issue!

Once installation and initial configuration are successfully concluded,
99% of user problems (as reflected on forums, mailing list postings or
helpdesk calls) are solved.

> or will that further on be handled by the distributions?

IMHO, 90% of the initial user problems are caused [or at least "aided
and abetted" :) ] by various of the more popular distros!

Many problems originate from how distros deviate from what is
documented, or what are the default setups of CUPS itself, without
in turn making their own tools perfect in handling the differences.

This leads users to try and manipulate all kinds of different settings
without fully understanding their implications (even self-styled geeks
like Eric Raymond were utterly confused by Red Hat's non-CUPS printer
admin tool trying to set up CUPS in RH's own way).

So if anything, we should come up with a very strong recommendation
about how to design a procedure of setting up the print system and
one or more printers.

So IMHO, "installation" is one of the most frequent causes of Linux
printing problems, and should be addressed in the meeting's efforts
to make printing better for desktop users.

Cheers,
Kurt