[Desktop_printing] Current PCL laser drivers are SLOOOOWW!

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Feb 19 05:31:02 PST 2006

Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> cups's rastertopclx: Actually I am not exactly sure how it works (or
> whether it does pcl-5/HP-GL only), but it also have contructions like
> "@PJL SET RENDERMODE=", "@PJL SET COLORSPACE=" and "@PJL SET RENDERINTENT="
> and it has some rather sophisticated conversion logistics.
> Perhaps Mike can explain how it deals with color data coming in destined
> for a B/W-only printer?

rastertopclx is a PCL 3/4/5 driver; it receives the correct color
data from the RIP and does the necessary dithering and compression
for the current printer.  The PJL stuff is used on many of the
current models to setup the printing mode.

For PCL 6, we are currently focusing on updating the ESP Ghostscript
pxlmono/pxlcolor drivers so that they are a) more efficient and b)
support the full range of PJL commands that the rastertopclx driver
does so they can be used with PCL 6 copiers/MFPs.