[Desktop_printing] Current PCL laser drivers are SLOOOOWW!

TORATANI Yasumasa toratani.yasumasa at canon.co.jp
Sun Feb 19 01:03:54 PST 2006

Hi,

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:56:09 +0000
Hin-Tak Leung <hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> TORATANI Yasumasa wrote:
> > Hi,
> > On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:16:45 +0100
> > Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Please tell me when there is a version with translated comments, so I
> >> can recommend this code to people asking me how to do best to write a
> >> driver.
> >
> > I've forwarded the mail to opfc project mailing list, and will have an opfc
> > f2f meeting next Friday, so please wait for a while..
>
> I suppose if nobody want to translate, or want a helping hand in proof-reading,
> I can help. (I can read and understand a fair bit of Japanese, being of
> Chinese origin, and I know the HP PCL-6/XL spec well enough having read
> it cover-to-cover a couple of time and written a printer driver with it,
> and have some rough ideas about how PCL5 works...).
>
> HTL

I appreciate your suggestion.
We, opfc project members, had a f2f meeting last Friday, and EPSON Avasys
people gave us a suggestion to translate the comments in the source code
by 3rd March, so if possible to wait for a week and a few days, they will start
translation.

And, the following release package;
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.jp/opfc/13897/opfc-ModuleHP-1.1.1.tar.gz
is *NOT* the latest, but the code in CVS
http://cvs.sourceforge.jp/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/opfc/Module-HP/opvp/
is latest (but not officially released as a stable code at this time).
Sorry for my misunderstanding.

This code fixed the following bugs, and inappropriate features.
 (1) LinePath doesn't accept 0 npoints.
 (2) LinePath, PolygonPath, BezeierPath use fixed size buffer(obuf)
     and don't check over flow. if large path is passed to these APIs,
     this driver crashes.
 (3) RestoreGS doesn't restore colors in the saved graphics state.
 (4) RestoreGS doesn't restore first saved graphics state.

Thank you