[Desktop_printing] Current PCL laser drivers are SLOOOOWW!

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Wed Feb 15 10:31:52 PST 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:
> PCL 5 and HP-GL/2 generally don't do 1200 DPI; there are exceptions
> on high-end DesignJet plotters, but none of the PCL 6 capable printers
> in my lab will do 1200 DPI in PCL 5 or HP-GL/2 mode.
>
> Regardless, if you can get the kinks ironed out, this *will* help
> for some pages - the key will be to know when it is better to just
> rasterize the whole page since vector ops can be slow on the non-
> PCL 6 devices.

Perhaps one should add an option to modify the degree of vector-based
and raster-based rendering and present it in a user-friendly way, like
"Document Type" with choices like "Text", "Drawing", "Text with images",
"Photo", ...

I think we definitely need also such a driver for PCL 6/XL devices. Is
the currently known (by free software developers) amount of PCL 6/XL
enough for such a driver?