[Desktop_printing] PPD settings vs IPP options

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Feb 15 10:07:09 PST 2006

McDonald, Ira wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> But if your GUI is _based_ on PPDs (as seems to be the concensus
> on this mailing list - not my first choice), then the dynamically
> discovered published IPP Printer object attributes have to be
> converted into a PPD for the local API interface - limiting the
> presented choices in that PPD for paper sizes implies an expert
> piece of conversion software, it seems.

Quite true, but a) applications don't talk directly to IPP printers,
b) assuming that we'd create a PPD file from IPP attributes
reported by an IPP printer, we would also cache that PPD file for
use by applications and print filters, and c) the same code that
handles limiting the list of media choices for regular PPD files
would work with auto-generated PPD files.  Whatever complexity is
involved will be hidden from users and applications.

In short, you are looking for a problem that doesn't exist.  The
*only* issue right now is how we should manage large numbers of
option choices, which is specific to the implementation of the UI.