[Desktop_printing] Current PCL laser drivers are SLOOOOWW!

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Feb 15 07:24:43 PST 2006

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> I have tried out this driver, on a machine with installed ESP
> GhostScript 8.15.x (with "opvp" device) and foomatic-rip, and CUPS one
> does the usual "./configure; make; make install", restarts CUPS and sets
> up a queue (for example with the web interface). Unfortunately, I do not
> have a CLJ 4600 or 5500 and had to try it on the LaserJet 4050, a bw
> printer. Here all what is not white gets printed in black but otherwise
> the printout is OK. Would this driver work also on a pure PCL-5c/5e
> printer (older HP LaserJets). Can the driver easily be expanded to bw
> printers and to 1200 dpi?

PCL 5 and HP-GL/2 generally don't do 1200 DPI; there are exceptions
on high-end DesignJet plotters, but none of the PCL 6 capable printers
in my lab will do 1200 DPI in PCL 5 or HP-GL/2 mode.

Regardless, if you can get the kinks ironed out, this *will* help
for some pages - the key will be to know when it is better to just
rasterize the whole page since vector ops can be slow on the non-
PCL 6 devices.