[Desktop_printing] PPD settings vs IPP options

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 15 04:41:36 PST 2006

   Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:41:21 +0100 (CET)
   From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de>

   On Feb 14 19:46 Robert L Krawitz wrote (shortened):
   > On further thought, I don't think Johannes Meixner's suggestion solves
   > that problem either, because PPD-based interfaces can't selectively
   > hide option values the way Gutenprint allows.
   >
   >      *PageSize Letter/US Letter: "<</PageSize [612 792] /ImagingBBox null
   >      *PageSize LetterFB/US Letter (FullBleed): "<</PageSize [612 792] /ImagingBBox null
   >      [....]
   >      *ImageableArea Letter/US Letter: "7 7 605 785"
   >      *ImageableArea LetterFB/US Letter (FullBleed): "0 0 612 792"

   Gimp-Print/Gutenprint's tons of low-level options was the major
   reason for the combined-options feature in Foomatic which results
   the top-level "PrintoutMode" option.

   To get tons of low-level options away from the top-level user
   dialog use "Open[Sub]Group/Close[Sub]Group" in the PPD.

Right, but in this case we're talking about values that a particular
option may take on.  We've already done this with options.

   Why do you need a seperated full-bleed option at all in the PPD?
   If a *.FullBleed media size was choosen, then the full-bleed
   printing mode must be activated in any case - or what do I miss?

We probably wouldn't.  The issue is that having 150 different paper
sizes vs. 75 makes it that much harder to wade through.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton