[Desktop_printing] Current PCL laser drivers are SLOOOOWW!

TORATANI Yasumasa toratani.yasumasa at canon.co.jp
Tue Feb 14 18:50:38 PST 2006

Hi,

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:05:41 +0100
Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> >>
> >>If there is a page with complicated graphical elements and the printer
> >>is a modern USB2 printer, the printer can be faster than the data transfer.
> >

> > Is that from first-hand experience?
> >

> Unfortunately, not, it is based on many complaints on the mailing lists.
>

> >>One would have to interface the driver with OPVP and not with IJS.
> >

> > I just found the web site. There is very little non-japanese details
> > (the english sites don't refer to the japanese ones, and the english
> > sites just have a lot of documents and discussions and don't seem to
> > have implementation details). Here it is:
> >
> > http://sourceforge.jp/projects/opfc/
> >

> Anyone of the OpenPrinting vector driver team here? A short presentation
> of the progress od your work here on the list would be nice.

Following is the opfc project front page in English.
http://opfc.sourceforge.jp/index.html.en

One of the links in the front page is;
http://lx1.avasys.jp/OpenPrintingProject/index_e.html
This site describes the outline of the project background, and has the links
to the sample implementation source code, "openprinting-jp-0.1.3.tar.gz",
though, I believe, it's not a latest one.

The following souce code in the source forge project is the latest one.
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.jp/opfc/13897/opfc-ModuleHP-1.1.1.tar.gz
I think, "opfc-ModuleHP-1.1.1/opvp/HPPageColor.c" is the driver code.
I found that the comments in the above code were written in Japanese,
so, these should be re-written in English, so that this sample code will be
able to help people to understand the opvp driver interface as well as the
PCL generating process.

This code was written by EPSON Avasys people. If you have some question,
please ask to this ML, or I'll foward the question to EPSON Avasys people if
no one from EPSON Avasys is here.

And the driver interface draft document written by Osamu Mihara from
Fuji Xerox Printing Systems is;
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/fsg/vector/VectorPrinterDriverAPI-0.2en.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/fsg/vector/VectorPrinterDriverAPI-0.2en.sxw
I hope this document helps to understand the sample code.

Thank you,