[Desktop_printing] PPD settings vs IPP options

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Tue Feb 14 16:46:13 PST 2006

   From: Kurt Pfeifle <k1pfeifle at gmx.net>
   Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:48:14 +0000

   On Tuesday 14 February 2006 12:40, Robert L Krawitz wrote:

   >    > A related problem is when the printer itself offers two (or more)
   >    > choices of margins.  A lot of Epson printers, for example, offer two
   >    > choices of margins, normal and expanded (i. e. full bleed), and
   >    > representing this in a PPD file is problematic.
   >
   >    Could you give some background info why it is problematic?
   >
   > The PPD file only provides one imageable area per paper size.

   IIRC, this is by paper size *name*. AFAIK, you can define, say, 2 (or
   more) different "Letter" paper size names with identical "PageSize",
   but different "ImageableArea", eg.:

Yes, but the problem is that we already offer a huge number of
different page sizes -- on the R1800, for example, we already offer 78
page sizes, and on larger printers even more.  Doubling (or worse)
that leads to a completely unwieldly interface.

On further thought, I don't think Johannes Meixner's suggestion solves
that problem either, because PPD-based interfaces can't selectively
hide option values the way Gutenprint allows.

     *PageSize Letter/US Letter: "<</PageSize [612 792] /ImagingBBox null
     *PageSize LetterFB/US Letter (FullBleed): "<</PageSize [612 792] /ImagingBBox null
     [....]
     *ImageableArea Letter/US Letter: "7 7 605 785"
     *ImageableArea LetterFB/US Letter (FullBleed): "0 0 612 792"

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton