[Desktop_printing] Current PCL laser drivers are SLOOOOWW!

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 14 08:48:24 PST 2006

--- Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> >

> > How does the openprinting driver bridge into ghostscript (or does it at
> all)?
> > The IJS interface is basically pumping bitmaps and is slow
> > (but given the printers are slower).
> >

> If there is a page with complicated graphical elements and the printer
> is a modern USB2 printer, the printer can be faster than the data transfer.

Is that from first-hand experience?

> > I am not sure about PCL 5, but PCL-6/XL certainly have vector drawing
> features.
> > It is just difficult to join them up with ghostscript without hooking
> inside,
>
> ESP GhostScript has an appropriate interface (device "opvp").
>
> > (and pxlmono is currently not doing things this way due to
> > laziness/priorities),
> > but I can not see hpijs's pcl-xl code working this way, just because
> > ijs doesn't pass vector instructions.
> >

> One would have to interface the driver with OPVP and not with IJS.

I just found the web site. There is very little non-japanese details
(the english sites don't refer to the japanese ones, and the english
sites just have a lot of documents and discussions and don't seem to
have implementation details). Here it is:

http://sourceforge.jp/projects/opfc/