[Desktop_printing] PPD settings vs IPP options

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Tue Feb 14 05:28:10 PST 2006

   Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:06:41 +0100 (CET)
   From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de>

   On Feb 14 07:40 Robert L Krawitz wrote (shortened):
   > From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de>
   >    On Feb 14 07:26 Robert L Krawitz wrote (shortened):
   >    > A related problem is when the printer itself offers two (or more)
   >    > choices of margins.  A lot of Epson printers, for example, offer two
   >    > choices of margins, normal and expanded (i. e. full bleed), and
   >    > representing this in a PPD file is problematic.
   >
   >    Could you give some background info why it is problematic?
   >
   > The PPD file only provides one imageable area per paper size.

   Why can't you use qualifiers for the media size option keywords,
   see the Adobe PPD spec. table B1 "Media Options".  There are media
   option keywords like A4Small and A4.Traverse so it should be
   posible to use sometring like A4.FullBleed for your
   GimpPrint/Gutenprint PPD files together with matching constrainst
   in the PPD so that A4.FullBleed can only be selected if and only if
   the full bleed option is also selected.

I hadn't thought of that.  That's an excellent idea.

   > Since everything is mediated through the PPD file (there's no
   > interactive/programmatic response to the choice of options), the
   > application doesn't know that the actual page size is different from
   > what it expects from the PPD file.

   No!

   This is the crucial point what the whole discussion is about.  The
   application which creates the document must do an interactive
   choice of options for the final output device in a dialog.

That's not my issue here -- the problem was how to have the PPD file
state the choice of different page sizes without cluttering everything
up too badly.  You gave me a good solution above.

   > I suppose that one way around this would be to duplicate each
   > paper size in the PPD file (or more than duplicate if more than
   > two margin sizes are available on the printer), but that would be
   > unmanageable as the number of page sizes offered is already very
   > large.

   As the number of features for such printes is large, the number of
   possible choices in the PPD must be large too.  But have in mind
   how Foomatic can help you via the "PrintoutMode" feature
   (i.e. combine sets of several individual choices under one single
   PrintoutMode choice).

My concern was about doubling the number of paper sizes here; you've
provided me with an alternative.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton