[Desktop_printing] PPD settings vs IPP options

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Mon Feb 13 11:31:28 PST 2006

On Monday 13 February 2006 18:09, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Johannes Meixner wrote:
> > Hello,

> >>I think you need to qualify some use cases here, because unless you are
> >>a professional publisher the printing part may only come into play after
> >>the document has been send around a few times. Who knows on which
> >>printer it will be eventually be printed?
> >
> > This use case is exactly te reason for the known problems:
> > Someone creates somehow a document which looks nice on his screen
> > but then it cannot be printed correctly on a normal printer
> > (his own printer or another user's printer).
>
> In my opinion a shrink-to-fit has to be preferred, but configurable
> options of shrink-to-fit, crop-to-fit, reflow-text, and prompt-user
> should be given. Under no circumstance the text should be reflown if a
> user simply loads a document, but has no printer offering the needed
> paper size/imageable area. The user should be simply warned then, theat
> graphical elements can get lost and he should be asked on the first
> attempt to print.

IMO, for my own docs, I don't want any printing system doing anything to them
unless I specifically tell it to do so. I certainly don't want it guessing
too much about what my document is. Hell, we all know word processors, if you
must be so unfortunate to use one, are hard enough to get a doc looking right
once and for all without it mangling on a new load, esp on another PC.

Please be very careful what you plan here..

Craig