[Desktop_printing] PPD settings vs IPP options

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Mon Feb 13 09:09:31 PST 2006

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Feb 10 10:56 Bastian, Waldo wrote (shortened):
>
>>Johannes Meixner wrote:
>>
>>>Which means that the user must choose the "printer" before
>>>creating the page layout.
>>
>>I think you need to qualify some use cases here, because unless you are
>>a professional publisher the printing part may only come into play after
>>the document has been send around a few times. Who knows on which
>>printer it will be eventually be printed?
>

> This use case is exactly te reason for the known problems:
> Someone creates somehow a document which looks nice on his screen
> but then it cannot be printed correctly on a normal printer
> (his own printer or another user's printer).

In my opinion a shrink-to-fit has to be preferred, but configurable
options of shrink-to-fit, crop-to-fit, reflow-text, and prompt-user
should be given. Under no circumstance the text should be reflown if a
user simply loads a document, but has no printer offering the needed
paper size/imageable area. The user should be simply warned then, theat
graphical elements can get lost and he should be asked on the first
attempt to print.

>>>What I have in mind is to have a somewhat "fuzzy" document layout
>>>which fits automatically into the usual imageable areas for
>>>A4, Letter and perhaps even Legal paper.
>>
>>Typically you end up reflowing the text, that's usually ok for a
>>web-page but in a word processor it may be perceived as a big annoyance.
>

> Of course reflowing text _may_ be an annoyance.

Therefore always ask the user before doing that, as long as he does not
configure to not being asked.

In addition, text parts (chapaters, paragraphs, ...) could have "layout
hints", like protection against being reflown.

> I am only talking about one way how the printout can be made.
> Of course the user must be able to select that the text cannot
> flow but then the consequence is that either the imaged area
> must be sufficiently small so that it can be imaged on various
> printers or the document can only be printed on a few printers.
>
> The idea is the same as for hard line breaks versus automated line
> breaks within a paragraph. In most cases automated line breaks
> are o.k. but of course sometimes it may be an annoyance but then
> hard line breaks can be used.
>
> See my example:
> For a business letter it should be o.k. when the text flows in
> each paragraph.
> It should be even o.k. when such a business letter document
> prints on two sheets if the paper size is Letter but only one
> sheet on A4 or Legal.
> But it is definitely not o.k. when the content is clipped
> when printing because the layout is fixed for one particular
> paper size and imageable area.
>

>>You are now talking about different page sizes btw, the discussion
>>started about the differences in imageable areas between different
>>printers.
>

> Different page sizes (i.e. paper sizes) and different imageable areas
> are in fact almost the same problem.
> "Almost" because see my example of a business letter:
> The "fixed position of the addressee" depends on the paper size.
> The positions and distances of the other major parts of the
> document depend on the imageable area.

Yes, here layout hints would be useful, to lock the address into its place.

> To produce PostScript which prints correctly, both kind of values
> must be taken into account.
> The matching entries in the PPD are PaperDimension and ImageableArea.

Yes, these are the two items which describe the printing media
numerically. Names (as in PageSize/PageRegion) can always be non-standard.