[Desktop_printing] PPD settings vs IPP options

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Mon Feb 13 04:24:01 PST 2006

   Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 09:23:00 +0100 (CET)
   From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de>

   > >What I have in mind is to have a somewhat "fuzzy" document layout
   > >which fits automatically into the usual imageable areas for
   > >A4, Letter and perhaps even Legal paper.
   >
   > Typically you end up reflowing the text, that's usually ok for a
   > web-page but in a word processor it may be perceived as a big annoyance.

   Of course reflowing text _may_ be an annoyance.

   I am only talking about one way how the printout can be made.  Of
   course the user must be able to select that the text cannot flow
   but then the consequence is that either the imaged area must be
   sufficiently small so that it can be imaged on various printers or
   the document can only be printed on a few printers.

Note that it may be OK to reflow some portions of text but not
others.  For example, an embedded table should not be reflowed, even
if it's perfectly acceptable to reflow the surrounding text (and
possibly even the cells within the table).

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton