[Desktop_printing] PPD settings vs IPP options

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Feb 13 00:23:00 PST 2006

Hello,

On Feb 10 10:56 Bastian, Waldo wrote (shortened):
> Johannes Meixner wrote:
> >
> >Which means that the user must choose the "printer" before
> >creating the page layout.
>
> I think you need to qualify some use cases here, because unless you are
> a professional publisher the printing part may only come into play after
> the document has been send around a few times. Who knows on which
> printer it will be eventually be printed?

This use case is exactly te reason for the known problems:
Someone creates somehow a document which looks nice on his screen
but then it cannot be printed correctly on a normal printer
(his own printer or another user's printer).

> >What I have in mind is to have a somewhat "fuzzy" document layout
> >which fits automatically into the usual imageable areas for
> >A4, Letter and perhaps even Legal paper.
>
> Typically you end up reflowing the text, that's usually ok for a
> web-page but in a word processor it may be perceived as a big annoyance.

Of course reflowing text _may_ be an annoyance.

I am only talking about one way how the printout can be made.
Of course the user must be able to select that the text cannot
flow but then the consequence is that either the imaged area
must be sufficiently small so that it can be imaged on various
printers or the document can only be printed on a few printers.

The idea is the same as for hard line breaks versus automated line
breaks within a paragraph. In most cases automated line breaks
are o.k. but of course sometimes it may be an annoyance but then
hard line breaks can be used.

See my example:
For a business letter it should be o.k. when the text flows in
each paragraph.
It should be even o.k. when such a business letter document
prints on two sheets if the paper size is Letter but only one
sheet on A4 or Legal.
But it is definitely not o.k. when the content is clipped
when printing because the layout is fixed for one particular
paper size and imageable area.

> You are now talking about different page sizes btw, the discussion
> started about the differences in imageable areas between different
> printers.

Different page sizes (i.e. paper sizes) and different imageable areas
are in fact almost the same problem.
"Almost" because see my example of a business letter:
The "fixed position of the addressee" depends on the paper size.
The positions and distances of the other major parts of the
document depend on the imageable area.

To produce PostScript which prints correctly, both kind of values
must be taken into account.
The matching entries in the PPD are PaperDimension and ImageableArea.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de