[Desktop_printing] PPD settings vs IPP options

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Fri Feb 10 10:56:40 PST 2006

Johannes Meixner wrote:
>On Feb 10 12:18 Till Kamppeter wrote (shortened):
>> I suggest the following for the apps:
>>
>> - On the editing screen of a document-producing application there
should
>> be a fine gray frame to mark the imageable area of the currently
chosen
>> printer (switchable).
>
>Which means that the user must choose the "printer" before
>creating the page layout.

I think you need to qualify some use cases here, because unless you are
a professional publisher the printing part may only come into play after
the document has been send around a few times. Who knows on which
printer it will be eventually be printed?

>What I have in mind is to have a somewhat "fuzzy" document layout
>which fits automatically into the usual imageable areas for
>A4, Letter and perhaps even Legal paper.

Typically you end up reflowing the text, that's usually ok for a
web-page but in a word processor it may be perceived as a big annoyance.
You are now talking about different page sizes btw, the discussion
started about the differences in imageable areas between different
printers.

It seems Adobe Acrobat solves the problem by offering to scale the
content. (Not sure if it scales based on paper size or based on margin)

Cheers,
Waldo