[Desktop_printing] PPD settings vs IPP options

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Fri Feb 10 08:50:04 PST 2006

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Feb 10 12:18 Till Kamppeter wrote (shortened):
>
>>I suggest the following for the apps:
>>
>>- On the editing screen of a document-producing application there should
>>be a fine gray frame to mark the imageable area of the currently chosen
>>printer (switchable).
>

> Which means that the user must choose the "printer" before
> creating the page layout.

If the user switches to another printer simply the frame position
changes, without graphical elements being moved. Warnings in the print
intergrity check can appear and others disappear.

> This is exactly the right ordering when you think about "printer"
> in a more general way as "output device" which can be for example:
>
> * normal desktop monitor or video projector
>   - disply pixel size (800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024)
>   - color depth (1, 2, 4, 8, 15, 16, 24, 32 bits per pixel)

This would also be another set of paper sizes, with 1:1.41 ratio and
always borderless (unprintable margins are zero) and the print integrity
check should warn if the user has chosen portrait orientation and also
when he switches between printer and screen/beamer output he should be
warned becauyse his former choice of paper size is not available any
more on the new output device.

>>- There should be a print integrity check, which tells the user whether
>>there are graphical elements in the document which are beyond the
>>imageable area of the current printer, whether there are pages with a
>>paper size not available on the printer,
>

> If I understand you correctly this still means to have the
> document layout somehow fixed bound to a particular printer.
>
> What I have in mind is to have a somewhat "fuzzy" document layout
> which fits automatically into the usual imageable areas for
> A4, Letter and perhaps even Legal paper.

This should be done only by changing the width of the margins, so that
no text flows into another page and all pictures embedded into the text
get messed up. Only if this is not possible, the user should be asked
whether page content should be scaled etc.

> [...]
>
> For example the usual business letter could have a layout like:
>
> # denotes the edges of the paper
> - and | are the borders of the major parts of the document
> . and : denote stretchable spaces.
> * denote non-stretchable space (i.e. fixed positions)
>
> The stretchable spaces between the major parts of the document
> let it fit automatically into the actual imageable area of the
> particular printer if the paper size is A4 or Letter (and perhaps
> even Legal).
>
> (ASCII art, you need to use a fixed-with font in your mailer
>  to get it correctly displayed):
>
>   ########################################################
>   #         *           *                *               #
>   #  ----------------   *    --------------------------  #
>   #..| company logo |...*....| header of the document |..#
>   #  ----------------   *    --------------------------  #
>   #         :           *        :                       #
>   #         :           *        :                       #
>   #    --------------------------------                  #
>   #    | addressee                    |                  #
>   #****| of the                       |..................#
>   #    | letter                       |                  #
>   #    --------------------------------                  #
>   #                     *                                #
>   #  --------------------------------------------------  #
>   #..| salutation                                     |..#
>   #  --------------------------------------------------  #
>   #                     :                                #
>   #  --------------------------------------------------  #
>   #  | first paragraph                                |  #
>   #..| of the                                         |..#
>   #  | body                                           |  #
>   #  --------------------------------------------------  #
>   #                     :                                #
>   #  --------------------------------------------------  #
>   #  | last paragraph                                 |  #
>   #..| of the                                         |..#
>   #  | body                                           |  #
>   #  --------------------------------------------------  #
>   #                     :                                #
>   #  --------------------------------------------------  #
>   #..| greetings                                      |..#
>   #  --------------------------------------------------  #
>   #                     :                                #
>   #                     :                                #
>   #  --------------------------------------------------  #
>   #..| footer of the document                         |..#
>   #  --------------------------------------------------  #
>   #                     *                                #
>   ########################################################
>
> Note the fixed position of the addressee regarding the
> top and left edges of the paper so that it fits for envelopes

There should be appropriate templates in the office software and users
must be made aware of this kind of document creation.

> I made our YaST printer testpage this way.
> It expands automatically to fill up the whole imageable area
> of the particular printer and it scales and moves all its
> major parts automatically so that the same PostScript code
> works for any normal paper format A5, A4, A3, Letter, Legal,
> Ledger, ...

I think the CUPS test page is done in a similar way.