[Desktop_printing] PPD settings vs IPP options

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Feb 10 01:57:41 PST 2006

Hello,

off topic - nevertheles one more comment ...

On Feb 9 18:39 Kurt Pfeifle wrote (shortened):
> On Thursday 09 February 2006 16:29, Johannes Meixner wrote:
>
> > enforce raw printing by default from Windows clients
> > because normally the Windows clients produce ready-to-print
> > data with a Windows driver.
>
> BTW, that is not completely and always true.

I know.
Therefore I was talking what we have by default in smb.conf
(cups options = raw) so that the normal case (i.e. the usual
old-stlye way how Windows clients print to Windows "print servers")
works out-of-the box.

> It is also not true if the Windows clients use the
> CUPS/ESP IPP client to send their jobs.

In this case no Samba is used and "cups options = raw" does
not apply (i.e. in this case it also works out-of-the box).

Kind Regards,
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de