[Desktop_printing] PPD settings vs IPP options

Norm Jacobs Norm.Jacobs at Sun.COM
Thu Feb 9 09:40:25 PST 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:

> Till Kamppeter wrote:
>

>> So use better the CUPS API functions for now ...
>>
>> Is it possible to do the same thing also with PAPI?
>

> It should be, although I don't know how Norm is mapping attribute
> value tags for the CUPS/IPP path in PAPI, and of course PAPI doesn't
> provide access to the PPD file, just the composite IPP media, etc.
> options...

The PAPI attributes are passed to the server as IPP attributes.  Currently,
PAPI has little or no knowledge of the attributes being passed through
it.  The are pretty much converted to their appropriate IPP type and sent
on the wire to the server.

As for the PPD file support, someone I work with is working on a prototype
and proprosal for additions to PAPI geared toward accessing PPD file
capabilities
data.

          -Norm