[Desktop_printing] PPD settings vs IPP options

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Feb 9 08:29:14 PST 2006

Hello,

On Feb 9 17:15 Kurt Pfeifle wrote (shortened):
> "raw" tells CUPS: "don't ever modify the print data", and CUPS
> respects this (if raw printing is allowed at all in "/etc/cups/mime.*")

Nooooooooo!!    ;-)

An explicite "-o raw" is possible in any case to enforce "raw".
This is what our Samba does since some versions by default
to enforce raw printing by default from Windows clients
because normally the Windows clients produce ready-to-print
data with a Windows driver.

If raw printing is activated in *.types and *.convs,
raw printing is done as falback if no other MIME type applies.
This way any user can accitentally print tons of sheets with
meaningless characters when sending unsupported binary data
(e.g. *.doc files or whatever proprietary format) to CUPS.
This is why we don't have the raw printing fallback enabled.

Kind Regards,
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de