[Desktop_printing] Re: [Printing-architecture] Printing Summit memo (for tomorrow sc meeting)

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 8 10:53:42 PST 2006

That's an interesting point - many had stated the pro's for pdfs.
but the very property - the index at the end - which make pdfs useful
(random seekable, extractable, rearrangeable) also means one has to
spool the whole file before processing, and it is by nature a two-pass
operation - at least, one have to see the end of a pdf file before
one can confidently process it.

SVG - read a big part of its spec, and it reads like postscript in
xml syntax, actually. (and half of the board are adobe employees...).
How exactly is SVG better than postscript, other than its XML'ness?
(I remember seeing any pagination-like contructs or multiple-page'ness
in SVG, but I could be wrong...).

Are you confusing xsl-fo (xml-stylesheet-language formatting object or such)
with SVG? xsl-fo (also an XML'ed thing) is actually quite close to pdf
(and can embed svg) in concept, and also seems to have some adobe people
involved. But like pdf, it is not streambable either
[although more of the meta data is up front] and other than its XML'ness,
I am not sure it is "better".

HT