[Desktop_printing] Re: [Printing-architecture] Printing Summit memo (for tomorrow sc meeting)

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Wed Feb 8 12:03:48 PST 2006

Osamu MIHARA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just joined Desktop_printing ML and am on the way to understand what
> is discussed for printing summit reading archived mails.
>
> One thing I'm concerning is that transition of printing spool format
> from PostScript to PDF.  Moving spooling format from PS to other is a
> good idea and PDF can be a candidate for it.  However, the original PDF
> from Adobe places meta information (dictionary) at the end of the PDF
> file.  This requires spooling all of the PDF file to spooler or renderer
> before start printing.  PDF/is is proposed by IEEE for facsimile
> application in order to handle stream PDF, but it handles only raster
> data and graphics information seems to be lost. Also streamed PDF is
> provided from Adobe, but I heard that streaming technology about PDF
> format is patented by Adobe.
>
> Under these situation, adopting PDF to spool format can be problems in
> many aspects.
>
> I'd rather like to take SVG for the spooling format, as it is *OPEN*,
> not under control of particular company and well designed graphic
> format, although it has less actual results.
>
> What do you think?

Good point, then we have full control on the job transfer format. For
PostScript and PDF printers we then will simply have a PostScript driver
and a PDF driver.

If important criteria for a print job transfer format are not fulfilled
by SVG, we could more easily add them than add features to Adobe's job
formats.

We need in SVG:

- Embedding of job ticket/or a standard to accompany the SVG with a job
  ticket
- Embedding of fonts
- Color management (ICC, ...)
- More?