[Desktop_printing] Re: [Printing-architecture] Printing Summit memo (for tomorrow sc meeting)

Osamu MIHARA mihara.osamu at fxpsc.co.jp
Tue Feb 7 21:43:11 PST 2006

Hi,

I just joined Desktop_printing ML and am on the way to understand what
is discussed for printing summit reading archived mails.

One thing I'm concerning is that transition of printing spool format
from PostScript to PDF.  Moving spooling format from PS to other is a
good idea and PDF can be a candidate for it.  However, the original PDF
from Adobe places meta information (dictionary) at the end of the PDF
file.  This requires spooling all of the PDF file to spooler or renderer
before start printing.  PDF/is is proposed by IEEE for facsimile
application in order to handle stream PDF, but it handles only raster
data and graphics information seems to be lost. Also streamed PDF is
provided from Adobe, but I heard that streaming technology about PDF
format is patented by Adobe.

Under these situation, adopting PDF to spool format can be problems in
many aspects.

I'd rather like to take SVG for the spooling format, as it is *OPEN*,
not under control of particular company and well designed graphic
format, although it has less actual results.

What do you think?
--
Osamu MIHARA // Fuji Xerox Printing Systems Co.,Ltd.