[Desktop_printing] FW: How to imbed Job Tickets in PDF

Ulrich Wehner uwehner at lanier.com
Thu Jan 26 11:36:37 PST 2006

Ira,

the wheel has already been invented, i am just greasing it....

IPP is great for hosts that can actually send via IPP. Unfortunately, it
is quite tricky to get your average AS/400 or mainframe to send via IPP...

That being the case we have to be sure that other connection methods like
Socket, LPR\LPD can also be used.

I understand that Linux and CUPS do not have this problem....

We do expect most PDF and Tiff files to come from Host systems (legacy).

Clearly not your problem, but it does matter to the printer manufacturers.

:)

Regards
Uli Wehner

"McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>
01/26/2006 01:28 PM

"'Till Kamppeter'" <till.kamppeter at gmx.net>, Ulrich Wehner
<uwehner at lanier.com>
cc
"McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>,
desktop_printing-bounces at lists.osdl.org, "'desktop_printing at osdl.org'"
<desktop_printing at osdl.org>
Subject
RE: [Desktop_printing] FW: How to imbed Job Tickets in PDF

Hi Uli,

There already _are_ open standard XML-based job tickets:

(a) CIP4 JDF - since 2000 -
(b) PWG PrintJobTicket - since 2004

The FSG Open Printing Job Ticket API specifies a complete
C-language API (with the C headers and UML diagrams) for
accessing a superset of all the job processing attributes
that can be submitted in an IPP/1.1 (RFC 2911) print job.
FSG/OP Job Ticket API v1.0 is in the directory:

  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/fsg/jobticket/JTAPI_Spec
                                               ^ underscore
in the file:

  fsg-openprinting-job-ticket-api-v0100-20050315.pdf

_please_ don't reinvent the wheel again.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839