[Desktop_printing] Gtk+ Printing Dialog

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Jan 25 07:40:54 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 12:52 +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Alexander,
>
> is the Gtk+ code intented to work inside Gtk only?
> Could you make it possible, to turn the planed printing dialog into
> something generic, useable for other toolkits as well? Maybe this can be
> achieved by modularising. So toolkit specific things are separate.
>
> A unified dialog would be a chance to bring the printing behaviour in
> sync and take the desktop as one coordinated product.
> Applictions like Scribus, Inkscape, Krita, Gimp, CinePaint should all
> behave in a similiar way. A common effort between KDE, Gnome, FLTK ...
> developers would be much appreciated. Each of the above applications has
> unique features, which will not be copied easily.
> Adobe's CreativeSuite is a good example, how a group of appliations can
> work close together.

My task is to design a printing API for gtk+, including a dialog to use
on Linux. This dialog will naturally be written in gtk+, since this it
is specially written for gtk+. It might be possible for other
applications to use a gtk+ dialog (i.e. OOo can do this with the gtk+
file selector dialog), but that is the extent of cross-toolkit support
the dialog it will have.

I'm all for working together on the backend design and implementation
though, so that all toolkits show the same printers and things like
that.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a witless one-eyed cat burglar on the run. She's an artistic insomniac
socialite with the power to see death. They fight crime!