[Desktop_printing] FW: PWG PortMon MIB prototype results

Ulrich Wehner uwehner at lanier.com
Mon Jan 23 11:14:36 PST 2006

Ira,

i am clearly not disagreeing with you...

being able to dynamically configure the port is going to be valuable,
static ini files are just not going to do the job.

bi-directional communication is another step towards properly configured
devices. (thinking of accessories, paper sources, etc)

proprietary MIB locations or Enterprise MIB locations do not have to be in
the way of that, once a device is correctly identified, querying the
proper information should be easy enough.

Most useful functions of our MIBs (standard or enterprise) are well
documented and quite public....

why should we not be able to dynamically build a fully functional printer
UI with information provided via bidirectional information?
Clearly the number of features available on a printer (even  a high-end
printer) is not unlimited.

However, as long as Microsoft charges per printer model to have the driver
"logo" certified it will be quite difficult to convince them that 1 (one)
printdriver that dynamically supports all printers is an acceptable
solution...

On Linux there might be a lot less pushback, do not know enough about the
Apple guys.

Regards
Uli Wehner

"McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>
Sent by: desktop_printing-bounces at lists.osdl.org
01/22/2006 12:26 PM

"'Tim Waugh'" <twaugh at redhat.com>, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmx.net>
cc
desktop_printing at osdl.org
Subject
RE: [Desktop_printing] FW: PWG PortMon MIB prototype results

Hi,

The method used in this script is proprietary - it does NOT represent
an open standard location for IEEE 1284 Device ID values - it is NOT
portable across vendors.

That's the reason for the PWG Printer Port Monitor MIB.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839