[Desktop_printing] FW: PWG PortMon MIB prototype results

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Fri Jan 20 17:11:46 PST 2006

Attached is a little shell script which is capable of obtaining
IEEE-1284 IDs via SNMP, but I do not really know which mechanism or MIB
is used, or whether simply all is searched for the typical format of an
ID string.

It does not work for all printers. On most HP printers it works, even
with old obnes like the LaserJet 4050.

Unfortunately, I cannot say who gave this script to me.

   Till

McDonald, Ira wrote:
> [...]

> =

> By the way, Apple hosted this interoperability test and Ricoh was one of
> the four printer vendors who brought prototypes.
> =

> The prototypes were of the following MIB (some structural changes were
> made in response to the prototype results and discussion), the IEEE/ISTO =

> PWG Candidate Standard Printer Port Monitoring MIB (PWG 5107.1):
> =

>   ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/cs-pmpportmib10-20051025-5107.1.pdf
> =

> This MIB does NOT replace or conflict with the IETF Host Resources MIB v2
> (RFC 2790) or the IETF Printer MIB v2 (RFC 3805).  It _complements_ them
> for the narrow purposes of printer driver installation and monitoring
> control (e.g., to suppress SNMP queries to a given printer on a multi-port
> network adapter).
> =

> This MIB's main purpose is to define the first and only standard MIB obje=
ct
> to contain the IEEE 1284 Device ID for each network or locally-attached
> printer.
> =

> I do not speak for Microsoft, but I'll observe that printers that want to
> be MS Vista-certified should implement this industry standard MIB - the o=
nly
> alternatives are continued support of vendor-private IEEE Device ID objec=
ts
> (fragile) or static configuration in TCPmon.ini (usually out-of-date).
> =

> The really important advantage is that a new printer can ship AFTER a giv=
en
> major release or service pack of MS Windows or Apple MacOS and still
> correctly
> install (for example) the existing driver for a closely related previous
> printer.  The same applies to Linux/UNIX distributions.
> =

> Cheers,
> - Ira
> =

> =

> Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
> PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
> phone: +1-906-494-2434
> email: imcdonald at sharplabs.com =

> =

> Uli Wehner wrote:
> =

> Ira, =

> =

> we have found that printers and MFPs have about a 7 year shelf life.
> "legacy" Mibs are going to be around! =

> =

> All network monitoring tools today are built around the current Mib
> specification. I am quite sure that we (Ricoh) are not dropping it any ti=
me
> soon. =

> =

> Are you aware of any printers manufactured today that support the proposed

- =

> Jerry Thrasher =

> 07/18/2005 06:41 PM =

>         =