[Desktop_printing] Multi-Language PPD files and PPD file specs

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Jan 20 10:34:09 PST 2006

George Liu wrote:

>> - PPDs should get multi-platform, it should stop with different PPDs
> for
>> the same printer on different platforms (NT, XP, Mac, Linux, ...)
>
> 	This *should* be possible, however we will need to convince the
> 	printer manufacturers to do this.  Developing a freely
> distributable
> 	standard Windows PostScript printer driver extension that
> supports
> 	the CUPS PPD extensions may be a way to do this...
>
> A Windows PPD extension that supports CUPS PPD extension? We must have
> lived in an ideal world. To make a freely distributable CUPS extension
> that works for the Unix/Linux/Mac sounds more achievable in the near
> future.

We already have a CUPS-specific, open source extension for the
Microsoft PostScript driver; see:

     http://www.cups.org/windows/
     http://svn.easysw.com/public/windows/trunk/

The only tricky part with the CUPS PPD extensions is supporting
the localization via attributes; I'm guessing that both the Microsoft
and Adobe developers will be able to point us in the right direction.