[Desktop_printing] Multi-Language PPD files and PPD file spec s

Ulrich Wehner uwehner at lanier.com
Fri Jan 20 07:11:14 PST 2006

Ira,

we have found that printers and MFPs have about a 7 year shelf life.
"legacy" Mibs are going to be around!

All network monitoring tools today are built around the current Mib
specification. I am quite sure that we (Ricoh) are not dropping it any
time soon.

Are you aware of any printers manufactured today that support the proposed
mib specification?

please advise

Regards
Uli Wehner

"McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>
Sent by: desktop_printing-bounces at lists.osdl.org
01/19/2006 04:28 PM

"'George Liu'" <george.liu at ussj.ricoh.com>, Michael Sweet
<mike at easysw.com>, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmx.net>
cc
desktop_printing at osdl.org
Subject
RE: [Desktop_printing] Multi-Language PPD files and PPD file spec       s

Hi,

BOTH Apple MacOS and Microsoft Windows in a future
major release will install print drivers and print
protocol ports (LPR versus IPP) using SNMP access to
the standard IEEE/ISTO PWG Printer Port Monitor MIB.

  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/

in the files:

  cs-pmpportmib10-20051025-5107.1.mib
  - ASN.1 only
  cs-pmpportmib10-20051025-5107.1.pdf
  - full specification in PDF

Microsoft proposed this new standard MIB in late 2004.
It has been prototyped by a number of vendors and both
Microsoft and Apple participated (by providing test tools)
in our mid-2005 interop test.

Don't waste your time engineering to legacy vendor MIBs.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839