[Desktop_printing] Multi-Language PPD files and PPD file specs

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Thu Jan 19 14:32:21 PST 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:

> Everything is still open for discussion, and in particular I will
> be talking with Apple about the various PPD extensions next week...
>
> So feel free to email me your concerns/issues and I'll weigh in
> with them on it... :)

I think we should do PPD extensions in a way that they can get some kind
of a global standard:

- PPDs should get multi-platform, it should stop with different PPDs for
the same printer on different platforms (NT, XP, Mac, Linux, ...)

- PPDs should get multi-language (we have one model for this in CUPS 1.2)

- PPDs should have the same PPD extemsions for different PPD-consuming
systems (I can make Foomatic understand and generate all CUPS PPD
extensions, I will not introduce a new Foomatic method for
multi-language PPDs, if Apple/MS has PPD extensions for certain SNMP
magic, we should overtake them instead of inventing something new, ...)

- The goal should be ONE printer model (defined by unique
parallel/USB/SNMP IDs) should have ONE PPD file for all paltforms and
all languages.

Based on this we could perhaps talk with Adobe people about new PPD
specs (or define PWG/LSB/FSG-OpenPrinting or whatever PPD specs).