[Desktop_printing] Multi-Language PPD files and PPD file spec s

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Thu Jan 19 13:28:01 PST 2006

Hi,

BOTH Apple MacOS and Microsoft Windows in a future
major release will install print drivers and print
protocol ports (LPR versus IPP) using SNMP access to
the standard IEEE/ISTO PWG Printer Port Monitor MIB.

  ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/

in the files:

  cs-pmpportmib10-20051025-5107.1.mib
  - ASN.1 only
  cs-pmpportmib10-20051025-5107.1.pdf
  - full specification in PDF

Microsoft proposed this new standard MIB in late 2004.
It has been prototyped by a number of vendors and both
Microsoft and Apple participated (by providing test tools)
in our mid-2005 interop test.

Don't waste your time engineering to legacy vendor MIBs.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839