[Desktop_printing] Multi-Language PPD files and PPD file specs

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jan 18 15:52:40 PST 2006

   Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:04:59 +0100
   From: Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmx.net>

   Michael Sweet wrote:
   > If you are asking "what do we do about printers that ship with
   > different configurations depending on the region", I'd say you will
   > either want to provide different PPD files for each region or list
   > the different punch units as installable options which have
   > UIConstraints for the incompatible settings.  The latter is a lot
   > easier from the developer standpoint, but puts the burden on the
   > user for figuring all of that out...

   If printers of the same model are different depending of the
   region, are their IEEE-1284 device ID strings different then? If
   so, one could have different PPDs and assign the correct one
   automatically.

Sometimes they are, sometimes not.  Epson, for example, tends to use
one model name (and ID string) in North America, one in Japan, and
sometimes a third one everywhere else.  However, this doesn't help too
much if someone buys a printer in one region and uses it elsewhere.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton