[Desktop_printing] Multi-Language PPD files and PPD file specs

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Jan 18 15:30:11 PST 2006

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>> If you are asking "what do we do about printers that ship with
>> different configurations depending on the region", I'd say you will
>> either want to provide different PPD files for each region or list
>> the different punch units as installable options which have
>> UIConstraints for the incompatible settings.  The latter is a lot
>> easier from the developer standpoint, but puts the burden on the
>> user for figuring all of that out...
>>

> If printers of the same model are different depending of the region, are
> their IEEE-1284 device ID strings different then? If so, one could have
> different PPDs and assign the correct one automatically.

While this class of device *may* be attached to a parallel port, I
think it will be more likely that it is on the LAN, at which point
SNMP would be the differentiator (and Apple has some stuff we'll be
adding into the standard CUPS PPD extensions for this, mapping
installed options to SNMP stuff...)