[Desktop_printing] BSTQC proposed to share our printercompatibility test result on this printer summit

John Cherry cherry at osdl.org
Fri Jan 13 14:03:01 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 10:38 +0000, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> That sounds interesting. A few questions here...
>
> (1) I believe most applications/software/etc are required to support GB18030
> (which is somewhat larger and different from unicode 3.x). As most of the
> attendence would be unicode-oriented, a quick intro on GB18030 and
> sany notable difficulties doing things in GB18030 versus unicode (most linux
> boxes would be operating in utf8)? e.g. your name in the "from"
> field of the e-mail is GB18030-encoded :-).
>
> (2) is there any specific printer hardware requirement/recommendations?
> e.g. postscript Printers sold in Japanese often have built-in japanese
> postscript fonts, and application can make assumptions about the availability
> of such fonts; and ghostscript installed in Japan also
> tends to be patched with emulations of such fonts also.
>
> (3) some overview of language-specific application/spooler/ripper
> customizations usually done on the chinese-oriented linux
> distributions?
>
> I don't know how many of these are slightly off-topic for the printing submit,
> but personally I like to know a bit more...

Printer testing and internationalization issues ARE currently off topic
based on the current printer summit agenda.

The proposal from Beijing Software Test is that we update the agenda to
include some time to hear about BSTQC's printer testing results and to
communicate the problems that they encountered in compatibility testing.
I think it would be to our advantage to add this topic to the agenda and
to give BSTQC a chance to share compatibility testing issues on the list
prior to the summit.

If I don't hear any objections, I'll add these topics to the summit
agenda.

Cheers,
John