[Desktop_printing] BSTQC proposed to share our printercompatibility test result on this printer summit

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 02:38:21 PST 2006

That sounds interesting. A few questions here...

(1) I believe most applications/software/etc are required to support GB18030
(which is somewhat larger and different from unicode 3.x). As most of the
attendence would be unicode-oriented, a quick intro on GB18030 and
sany notable difficulties doing things in GB18030 versus unicode (most linux
boxes would be operating in utf8)? e.g. your name in the "from"
field of the e-mail is GB18030-encoded :-).

(2) is there any specific printer hardware requirement/recommendations?
e.g. postscript Printers sold in Japanese often have built-in japanese
postscript fonts, and application can make assumptions about the availability
of such fonts; and ghostscript installed in Japan also
tends to be patched with emulations of such fonts also.

(3) some overview of language-specific application/spooler/ripper
customizations usually done on the chinese-oriented linux
distributions?

I don't know how many of these are slightly off-topic for the printing submit,
but personally I like to know a bit more...

Hin-Tak